[arch-general] UEFI experience - recommendations needed.

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 07:01:53 EST 2013

On Tuesday 08 Jan 2013 10:55:46 Mike Cloaked wrote:
> If I can boot a freedos bootable usbkey under uefi and do the firmware
> update flash that way it would be great!  I will try that as it will be
> around the first thing I need to do before partitioning the drives and then
> installing arch.... should be interesting!

If I remember correctly, the issue was that the commands I needed to load the
image from syslinux or grub weren't available from UEFI mode.  I can't quite
remember what I did in the end, I'm afraid.  I think I ended up loading
memdisk from grub2 using the "linux" command, instead of "linux16" (which
wasn't available), and it just worked (surprisingly).  Switching to BIOS mode
and booting from a USB stick would probably have been a quicker solution.

It was also complicated by the issue that my firmware utility was too big for
a normal FreeDOS image.  I ended up adding this to the Wiki for that:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Flashing_BIOS_from_Linux#Images_that_are_too_large_for_a_floppy

Paul