[arch-general] UEFI experience - recommendations needed.

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 13:29:13 EST 2013

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Curtis Shimamoto <
sugar.and.scruffy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/08/13 at 09:38am, Mike Cloaked wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Paul Gideon Dann <pdgiddie at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> Beside
> and
> UEFI.

> risk
> > >
> > > Seconded.  It makes very little difference, if any.  The only time I've
> > > noticed is when I wanted to upgrade the laptop's firmware, and getting
> > > FreeDOS image to boot was trickier than with BIOS.
> > >
> > > Paul
> > >

> > That's interesting - though I guess it is possible to change the BIOS
> > setting just to boot a freedos usbkey to reflash the firmware and then
> > reset to uefi again to boot back into the normal system again?
> >
> > --
> > mike c
>
> Yes, this is what I have done in the past.  I actually I just left UEFI
> and bios enabled for some time.  My computer gives the option of whether
> to give preference to UEFI or legacy bios if both are present.
>
> Recently, though I turned off legacy bios, though I am not sure why or if
> I gain anything from it.
>
> --
> Curtis Shimamoto
> sugar.and.scruffy at gmail.com

Yes I had seen about the uefi as first call with legacy as backup option -
actually I looked up the firmware update, and there seems to be an option
to enable F7 to flash bios from the advanced bios options for my
motherboard - and in principle having the bios .bio update file on a uskbey
whilst booting with this option enabled should allow a very simple way to
update the firmware without further ado, and does not even need a freedos
key - just the file on a fat32 partitioned key - I had better start putting
the hardware together so I can start doing all this!

--
mike c