[arch-general] systemd automount + wake-on-lan dependency

Martín Cigorraga msx at archlinux.us
Thu Jan 10 07:38:52 EST 2013

> > On 01/08/2013 05:39 PM, Sander Jansen wrote:
> > > I want my media pc to automatically mount several samba shares when
> > they're
> > > accessed.

Is that even possible? Because the way Samba protocol works it might be
some time
(as much as some good 10 minutes, may be a little more) until the shares
are up and
ready to be accessed on the network. This is not the case with NFSv4 in
which case
AutoFS will find and mount instantly any share providing the NFS server is
up, of course.
OTOH if the NFS server is down when you try to access it via AutoFS the NFS
client
on your machine will initiate the Stall of Death, but that's another song :p

> Good news was that I was able to get a systemd share.mount unit working
> with a wol.service unit. Starting the mount unit will correctly start the
> wol.service unit and wake the machine using the magic packet. What I
> haven't got working is the automount:  So far it only tries to mount the
> share, but not activate the wol.service unit. Perhaps the automount units
> also needs to depend on the wol.service?

> Sander

Since I'm migrating my network shares everywhere from NFS to Samba (the
later being
slower but more reliable) I'm most interested in the work you've done, can
you post the
units back?

Regards.