[arch-general] kernel 3.7.2 - fails to boot - please help

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Sat Jan 12 22:50:05 EST 2013

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 10:47:09PM -0500, Genes Lists wrote:
> On 01/12/2013 10:38 PM, Genes Lists wrote:
>
>   Followup to my own post -
>
>    (1) in spite of errors, 3.7.1 kernel seems to have been installed
> and the laptop once again boots.
>

>    (2) I still don't understand the errors from mkinitcpio that
> happened when installing linux in the chroot - is there something I
> should do to 'clean' up in some way?
>
>    (3) Looks to me like something is not good with 3.7.2 kernel ..
>
> gene

There's nothing wrong with the kernel. You've probably been ignoring the
warnings from pacman about file being newer than what's in the repos.
file-5.12 was removed from [testing] because it was misidentifying
kernel images, which broke mkinitcpio.

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/33373

This is fixed for good in mkinitcpio, as the next version won't rely on
file at all.