[arch-general] update to calibre-0.9.15-1

phani listmail at phanisvara.com
Fri Jan 18 16:46:58 EST 2013

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 19:48:37 +0530, Martti Kühne <mysatyre at gmail.com>
wrote:

> No one that hasn't touched the calibre software will suffer from the
> existing files.

i haven't touched the calibre software -- if that means done any manual
changes to it's files. if you mean "used the calibre software," that i did.

> Python (which creates those files when stuff is used)
> packages now provide compiled bytecode which also saves the users'
> power, and I think it's a great feature. The downside is that all the
> *.pyc/*.pyo stuff is in many cases already on disk and it was actually
> the third hunk in [1] that brought in the change. Look up the bug
> report [2] that hunk is referring to, which is relevant in this case.
> There were other such updates in the past for me - and I believe I
> used some for/rm loop in bash instead of pacman --force.

i just moved the not-owned files somewhere else. wouldn't think of using
--force unless i knew exactly what was going on.

> I think top
> note in [3] was added at some point, which will both impose further
> cleanness in python packaging and confusion on not-very-savant users
> in the future. I also agree with pacman in that it should not handle
> such cases, because that's what using arch means to me.

> Alternatively, you could have informed yourself about what *.pyc/*.pyo
> files are and answered your own question.

"RTFM" makes sense to me. "study python packaging before asking the list"
does not.

--
phani.