[arch-general] Problem with NFS on shutdown

Paul Marwick paul.marwick at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 03:55:58 EST 2013

I've got two machines in my local network that provide NFS shares. One
is an old Raidsonic NAS (running a current version of OpenWRT), the
other a dedicated server running Slackware). I normally mount the shares
manually (the machine that is giving me a problem is a laptop, so its
often not connected to my own network).

The problem comes when I try to shut the laptop down (or restart it).
Unless I've manually unmounted the NFS shares, the machine will hang and
fail to shut down. In some instances, I've been able to use CTRL-C to
break out of the stall, but frequently, I can only turn the machine off,
which is not exactly ideal.

I've been playing with the nfs exports, currently have the following:

/mnt/sda2/stor
192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw,sync,no_wdelay,nohide,no_root_squash) (this
is on the Raidsonic)

and

/mnt/sda2/stor
192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw,sync,no_wdelay,nohide,no_root_squash) on
the Slackware server.

The problem is specific to Arch - I've got two other distros installed
on the laptop (though Arch is my usual OS). From SalineOS or Salix, the
laptop will shut down or restart without having to manually unmount the
NFS shares prior to shutdown.

I suspect I've not got something set up correctly in systemd, but I'm
currently at a loss to work out what. If I manually unmount the shares
before shutdown, there is no problem. I've also tried adding the unmount
to /etc/rc.local.shutdown, but that doesn't work - the system still
hangs during shutdown. I'm sure that rc.local.shutdown is being executed
- if I shut down without the shares mounted, I can see messages that
they are not mounted.

I'm not sure if I should be looking at the NFS export parameters on the
hosts, or systemd on the laptop, though I've tried some variations on
the exports without changing the behaviour.

Does anyone know what I should be looking at to solve this?

Paul.