[arch-general] Linux-3.7.3-1-i686 blank screen

Whiskers catwheezel at operamail.com
Tue Jan 22 16:07:56 EST 2013

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 19:25:45 +0100 Karol Babioch <karol at babioch.de> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Am 22.01.2013 18:34, schrieb Whiskers:
>> An 'unconfirmed' bug is listed at <https://bugs.archlinux.org/> but this
>> seems to relate to vlc segfaulting with the new kernel, so I don't know
>> if that's the same problem affecting me.
>
>No, that's almost certainly another issue.
>
>You may want to try 3.7.4-1 from testing. If that doesn't fix your
>issue, you are probably best off to contact upstream directly. With
>Linux 3.7 there was quite some restructuring of the graphics stack going
>on, so it may well be that in some cases it breaks things.
>
>Best regards,
>Karol Babioch

I'm using the Nouveau video driver with an old laptop.  As Linux-3.6.11-1
seems to be stable for me, I'll wait for the next kernel version to reach
the core repository.

I'll also try to work out how to have the previous kernel still available
to Grub-legacy after the next kernel upgrade.

For the record, this is what my video hardware says it is:

$ lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV31M [GeForce FX Go5600] (rev a1)

--
--  Whiskers