[arch-general] broken system after today upgrade

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jan 23 05:44:37 EST 2013

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 11:25:16 +0100, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>
wrote:
> Am 23.01.2013 11:10, schrieb arnaud gaboury:
>> Let me clarify a few things.
>> 1- I didn't correctly understand the post from Allan about toolchain,
>> thus
>> my brocken update when #pacman - S filesystem
>
> Then why do you use testing?
>
>> 2- As a newbye,
>
> Then why do you use testing?

Perhaps the OP needs a clarification. Arch Linux is a rolling release, you
usually get latest software versions for a regular Arch install. For my
taste sometimes the versions come to the repository too fast (at the
moment I take a rest from Arch Linux, but I still recommend to use it and
will use it in the future myself again). It's not comparable to testing of
"release distros", were for stable releases software sometimes is outdated
for the needs of some users and developers.

When you are experienced using testing is helpful, to test new packages,
since this would help the community. As long as you're a novice, you very
unlikely will benefit from using testing.

pacman -Syuu ;)

Regards,
Ralf