[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Drop VI from [core] (was Re: Winter Cleanup of [community])

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 11:27:42 EST 2013

On Thursday 24 Jan 2013 11:05:22 Stéphane Gaudreault wrote:
> +1 to drop vi. I cannot imagine why someone would want to use this crap ...
>
> We already have nano in [core], so I think that vim could stay in
> [extra] (do we really need 2 text editors in [core] ?).

Vi is the standard UNIX text-editor.  Many admins rely on the fact that vi is
available everywhere.  It really should be in core.

Also, I know you might be referring to "plain vi", which is a completely
different beast to Vim, but the latter (which provides "vi" too) has a *huge*
userbase.  Calling it crap is just bizarre...

Paul