[arch-general] Partition/Data rescue

archlinuxmailings at gmail.com archlinuxmailings at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 10:32:27 EST 2013

Hi

You know the moment where you would turn back the time some seconds only? Well here we are...

I got a perfectly running arch on ssd (6 partitions) and an internal hdd (1partition) with a backup usb disk (1partition) connected at a very genious moment! Having done a SD-multiboot setup with several distros I just wanted to test that the last distro added (DBAN Dariks Boot and nume) boots fine. Only little thing to mention was that --autonuke setting at boot loader. Don't ask me what was riding me, maybe tiredness, stupidness, something evil or altogether! As fast as I swiched the system off it erased at least some sectors on each and every disk!

Well, DBAN worked.

But how can I get back to something running? At least I would like the backup disk running but I am not sure what is the correct way. I don't have another backup and uploading to Amazon S3 was not yet finished, so disaster recovery would have worked only later.... How I hate Murphy today!

For the procedure: Testdisk showed me at least 6 possible partitioning (having had one on this disk!) schemes and just creating the partition with fdisk and not touching the filesystem wouldn't give me my TOC back, no? Using gparted would recreate the filesystem resulting in overwritten data? Do I need to use an ext-restoring rool or what is best to try? First copying the data off to a second external disk with "dd"? And then?

I would really appreciate some experienced users feedback as some of the missing data means a lot to me although knowing that there are more important things lime health etc.

Thanks in advance!
emak