[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Silent removal of initscripts?

G. Schlisio g.schlisio at dukun.de
Mon Jan 28 15:36:07 EST 2013

Am 28.01.2013 21:28, schrieb Evangelos Foutras:
> On 28 January 2013 21:30, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
>> IMNSHO, it would probably be best to just unequivocally declare the rc
>> scripts as dead and unsupported rather than try to play catch-up now.
> I agree with this, no half measures. :)
>
> You made the announcement [1] in early November; title was pretty
> clear; time-frame was provided. There's nothing else left to do now
> but to drop the initscripts and sysvinit packages.
>
> [1] https://www.archlinux.org/news/end-of-initscripts-support/

a new announcement would only make sense for those, who totally slept
the whole time.
the majority of users sticking with initscripts does not do that because
of lack of interest in systemd.
my vserver hoster (netcup.de, german provider) does not provide an
up-to-date kernel and, although first made aware of the upcoming change
in september, now begins beta testing a new virtualization (kvm, linux
vserver before). its still some time (up to two month) until i can
finally migrate to systemd.
i would be very glad, if there was a sysvinit-scripts package for the
time beeing.
thanks for considering.