[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Drop VI from [core] (was Re: Winter Cleanup of [community])

Mika Fischer mika.fischer at zoopnet.de
Wed Jan 30 04:46:13 EST 2013

[Replying to arch-general since I'm not allowed to post to arch-dev-public]

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 2:02 AM, Alexander Rødseth <rodseth at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's not a given that a vi clone is the most desirable replacement. If an
> editor that is not a vi clone should be preferred, now or in the future, a
> symlink named vi looks funny.

How about splitting out a vim-vi-compat (or whatever you want to name
it) package that just contains the /usr/bin/vim -> /usr/bin/vi
symlink. This could then provide 'vi' and conflict with it.

This way people can replace /usr/bin/vi with whatever vi package they
want easily, while being able to keep vim, if they want.

Best,
 Mika