[arch-general] short hangs

János Illés ijanos at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 16:34:36 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 10:13 PM, Scott Lawrence <bytbox at gmail.com> wrote:
> My experience is that freezes are almost always associated with the hard
> drive having spun down, and needing to spin up before something can be read
> from the disk. (It just happened, as I was typing that sentence.) Tweak
> power settings to make spin-downs more rare, or banish them altogether if
> you're willing to take a minor hit to power consumption.

I run the laptop from AC power almost all the time, so I disabled most
of the powersafer stuff that would hit the performance. The HDD never
spins down, but even if it does, the arch system is on an SSD.

I have to emphasis, the system itself remains perfectly responsive. If
music plays in the background, I can start/stop with keyboard
shortcuts and it responds instatnly. Only the picture freezes, and
even then the mousecursos moves smoothly! This is not a
system-responsiveness bug.

--
János