[arch-general] Can`t playback other sounds (ie flash, xmms) while on a skype call

Nowaker enwukaer at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 13:41:14 EDT 2013

> Folks seems skype and pulseaudio are blocking all other sound outputs while
> I`m on a call. When I turn off the skype call the other sounds start to
> work again. I could find no logs to provide you more info but I will happy
> to show them as long you point me out what you need.

You are not using Pulse Audio, aren't you? While some people claim it's
possible to get it working with pure ALSA, I always struggled with Skype
blocking other applications and ended up with Pulse Audio.

It's good to read these articles so you need what's going on.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#Mixing

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio

--
Kind regards,