[arch-general] How to safe configs to another path than ~

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Jul 25 04:35:11 EDT 2013

Hi,

how can I safe configurations to another path, instead of using ~?

I need this for audio applications, to restore different audio sessions
and to get different profiles for some applications.

If I run
HOME=/home/rocketmouse/alt_profiles/1 xfce4-terminal --maximize
by xfce4-terminal
the path gets completely ignored, all settings still are stored
to /home/rocketmouse and not to the
path /home/rocketmouse/alt_profiles/1.

If I run
HOME=/home/rocketmouse/alt_profiles/1 xfce4-terminal --maximize
by the Xfce panel launcher
I get "Failed to execute child process
"HOME=/home/rocketmouse/alt_profiles/1" (No such file or directory)".

If I run
HOME=/home/rocketmouse/alt_profiles/1 gedit
something is saved to /home/rocketmouse/alt_profiles/1, but it doesn't
effect gedit. If I change settings, the settings are only used if I run
gedit
if I run
HOME=/home/rocketmouse/alt_profiles/1 gedit
gedit starts using it's defaults. The only good, t doesn't use the
settings saved to /home/rocketmouse , as it does if I launch it by
gedit.

Regards,
Ralf