[arch-general] How to safe configs to another path than ~

Guus Snijders gsnijders at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 18:40:02 EDT 2013

Op 26 jul. 2013 13:22 schreef "Ralf Mardorf" <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>
het volgende:

> On Fri, 2013-07-26 at 03:28 -0600, Chris Moline wrote:
> > > A way to get configs
> > >
> > to /music/production_0001, /music/production_0002 ...
/music/production_9999
> > > is what I need.
> >
> > I'm wondering what apps specifically do you use? I think we can help
> > you better if we know what those are.
>
> For example Qtractor, but I don't have a list of apps I'm using, I want
> be able to handle the app that will be written tomorrow too.
>
> For Qtractor it's easy to find the configuration
> in /home/rocketmouse/.config/rncbc.org/, so I could copy and restore it,
> but I hope there's a better way, than to do it like this.
> HOME=/path/foo app
> might work for some apps.

I think someone else said the same, but i really think you should consider
a version system like git. A real configuration system like cfengine could
also work, but might be a bit overkill for this situation.

The cleanest would be if the apps run under a dedicated user account, so
that you can clear everything without worrying about losing stuff.

When this is setup, all you have to do is create the necessary
configurations and add (and tag) those to your repository.

Then, for every new production, clear the homedir, checkout the right
config-set and do your thing.

If necessary, you could do this on an application-by-application base,
though that could get messy soon...

Hope that helps.

Mvg, Guus