[arch-general] CLI diffing tool other than Vim?

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Tue Jul 30 18:41:00 EDT 2013

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 18:11:05 -0400
Daniel Micay <danielmicay at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 5:57 PM, Pedro Alejandro López-Valencia
> <palopezv at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Daniel Micay <danielmicay at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> There's absolutely no part of the merging process `vimdiff` is hiding
> >> from you. You're enamoured with doing tedious, repetitive work but
> >> most of us would rather invest a few minutes in learning a more
> >> powerful tool or writing a bit of code than wasting our time.
> >

> > And you are enamoured with trying desperately to prove random, unknown
> > people in the internet that you are right, because you have being
> > given the divine right to be always correct as dispensed to you by
> > God.
> >
> > Child, I stopped doing that several decades ago. You win by default.
> >
> > --
> > http://about.me/palopezv

> claim to have. I only care that you're telling people to waste their
> time by suggesting they do merges with pen and paper instead of tools
> in the repositories supporting the workflow of a merge.

Please guys... you only add more work for the moderators.

FWIW, in my experience for simple configuration files, merging .pacnew's is
easiest with a usual "diff -u a.conf a.conf.pacnew | vim -". It gives you a
nice colored diff similar to what you get from git or mercurial. On the other
hand, for large updates, e.g. samba 3.x -> samba 4.x, it is much faster to just
recreate your config.

Cheers,
L.

--