[arch-general] DKIM signed messages to mailing list - issue

Genes Lists lists at sapience.com
Sat Jun 1 17:15:14 EDT 2013

> So go complain there.  It is a problem of a list member’s server, and
> not Arch Linux Mailman’s.

I don't fully agree - strictly speaking passing through inbound DKIM
headers as the arch mail list server is doing is not following the
guidelines of RFC 6377 [0] which (among much long discussion) suggests:

 The best general recommendation for dealing with MLMs [1] is that the MLM
   or an MTA in the MLM's domain apply its own DKIM signature to each
   message it forwards and that assessors on the receiving end consider
   the MLM's domain signature in making their assessments.  (See
   Section 5, especially Section 5.2.)

This is not required by the RFC just recommended. That said it is indeed
a tricky issue ... I'm just saying the mail list server is not guilt
free here.

That said I am not sure what mailling list server options there are
regardning  DKIM.

The receiving server probably should not be emailing the DKIM author's
postmaster either - so that is a no-no as well - it should just reject
or accept message and not creating more spam.

gene

[0] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6377
[1] MLM = mailing list manager.