[arch-general] Arch, IBus, and Rime: IBus engines are not switched

Julius Adorf jeadorf at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 02:06:01 EDT 2013

Hi,

I stumbled over odd behaviour after installing ibus-rime on a rather
fresh Arch installation. Switching between my two configured input
methods (German, Chinese) works nicely both by keystroke or the menu
in the systray of my Gnome Shell. I expected that this will make IBus
change to an appropriate engine.

However, whenever I switch between the Chinese and German input
methods (I can observe the systray icon change from de to zh or the
other way round), IBus always reports the following:

$ ibus engine
xkb:us::eng

Chinese input does not work (the keyboard changes to US though). When
switching to German, then everything works as expected, even though
IBus still reports xkb:us::eng as the engine in use. I found this
workaround

$ ibus engine rime
$ ibus engine
rime

By manually setting the IBus engine, Chinese input works as expected.
Do you have a clue how to make IBus change to the right engine after
switching input methods? Or is it likely to be misconfiguration in my
locale settings?

Cheers,
Julius