[arch-general] Super weird dd problem.

Bjoern Franke bjo at nord-west.org
Mon Jun 10 04:44:18 EDT 2013

Hi,

> I always unmount my devices before unplugging, but I found out that
> after writing a lot of data to a slow device (SD card in my case),
> umount or udiskie-umount would block for a long time, then exit with
> some weird error message and the data would have not been correctly
> written.

I have a similar problem with an usb pen drive, which is mounted with
vfat (my car radio only likes vfat).
For instance, 350MB of a 400MB file are copied very fast, then I get
some timeout and device descriptor read messages. The writing never
finishes and the fs is corrupted.
First I thought the drive was damaged, but under Windows it works fine,
so it must be an issue related to how copying under linux works.

regards
bjo
xmpp bjo at schafweide.org
bjo.nord-west.org | nord-west.org | freifunk-ol.de