[arch-general] getting updates for offline computer

Andrew Gregory andrew.gregory.8 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 09:57:00 EDT 2013

On 06/13/13 at 11:43am, Lieven Moors wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using the internet connection at home to update a computer without internet.
> I use a script to get the updates for the offline computer, and to install them
> on that computer. To get a list of updated packages on the offline computer, I use
> the command:
>
> pacman -Sup --noconfirm
>
> Recently the package webkitgtk3 was moved to webkitgtk. But in the
> process, it also pulls in a new dependency harfbuzz-icu.
> No when I use the command above against the new sync database,
> harfbuzz-icu is not present in the list of packages.
>
> My question is, whether this would be considered a bug in pacman,
> or if this would be an expected limitation. Or maybe there is something
> else I don't understand...
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> lieven

This is a limitation in pacman.  --print does not handle replaces.
I'm not sure if I would consider this a bug given that we ignore
replacers in other non-interactive situations.  If you think the
behavior should be changed though, feel free to open a ticket in
flyspray.

Also, no need to use --noconfirm, it's implied by --print.

apg