[arch-general] interference of the recent /usr symlinking with the mkinitcpio 'usr' hook?

William Giokas 1007380 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 03:32:30 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 09:08:17AM +0200, Martti Kühne wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Simon Campese <arch-general at campese.de> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I just did a fresh install of archlinux based off the most recent
> > install cd. I've setup an encrypted root filesystem (btrfs) with
> > separate subvolumes for /, /usr, /var, /home and /etc. All subvolumes
> > are entered with the correct mount options (subvol=...) in
> > /etc/fstab. In particular, the lines for the / and /usr mounts look
> > identical, except for different arguments to the 'subvol' mount option.
> >
> > In my /etc/mkinitcpio.conf, I have the following HOOKS line:
> >
> > HOOKS="base udev autodetect block keymap keyboard encrypt filesystems
> > fsck usr shutdown"
> >
> > At bootup, right after entering my luks password, I get the following
> > error message:
> >
> > "Error: Root device mounted successfully, but /sbin/init does not exist.
> > Bailing out, you are on your own. Good Luck"
> >

> Of course. /sbin is a symlink now. You'll have to adjust your disk
> setup and unite /usr and / for /sbin/init -> /usr/bin/systemd to be a
> valid path. [0]

This is simply an issue with mounting your /usr partition correctly. I
don't have experience with using a separate /usr, but mounting it in the
initramfs, you should have no issues finding /usr/bin/init (what
/sbin/init points to). You don't have to merge your / and /usr
partitions.

--
William Giokas | KaiSforza | http://kaictl.net/
GnuPG Key: 0x73CD09CF