[arch-general] interference of the recent /usr symlinking with the mkinitcpio 'usr' hook?

Karol Blazewicz karol.blazewicz at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 06:34:00 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 9:42 AM, Martti Kühne <mysatyre at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> "Error: Root device mounted successfully, but /sbin/init does not exist.
>>> Bailing out, you are on your own. Good Luck"
>>>

>> Of course. /sbin is a symlink now. You'll have to adjust your disk
>> setup and unite /usr and / for /sbin/init -> /usr/bin/systemd to be a
>> valid path. [0]
>>

> Okay, wait a minute ... apparently there's a usr hook in the
> mkinitcpio which can do the /usr mounting for you. [0]
> Thanks kaictl.
>
> [0] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio#Common_hooks

Reposted from https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1292093#p1292093
Simon Campese wrote:

Hi Karol,

yes, I've already posted it on the mailinglist but thought that my
post didn't made it through the moderation process. Sorry for that.
Also, I've setup my mailinglist account not to receive any messages,
so now I don't know how to reply to my mailinglist post. Could you
please forward the following answer to the list?

In the meantime, I've solved the problem: It's my separate /etc
partition (or subvolume, to be more correct). The 'usr' hook in the
initramfs can't mount /usr because it doesn't find a valid fstab
(residing on the /etc subvolume which is not mounted yet).

I'm very new to btrfs and now, after some reading, moved to a way
cleaner and more elegant solution: Just made /etc, /home, /usr etc.
subvolumes of my root subvolume. This way they are automatically
available as soon as root is mounted, there's only one single line
needed in fstab and the 'usr' hook can be removed from the initramfs.