[arch-general] turn off notifications?

David Benfell benfell at parts-unknown.org
Sun May 5 02:57:45 EDT 2013

On 05/04/2013 07:44 PM, XeCycle wrote:
> David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> I'll have to confess, I'm in way over my head. Am I doing this
>> right?
>>
>> n4rky% gdbus introspect --session --dest
>> org.freedesktop.Notifications --object-path
>> /org/freedesktop/Notifications node
>> /org/freedesktop/Notifications { }; n4rky%
>
> Hmm...  This means you don't have a freedesktop notification daemon
> running.  I know nothing about your desktop environment, however;
> another notification facility may be running in your desktop.

I'm trying to think how to answer this:

n4rky% pacman -Ss notification
core/libevent 2.0.21-2 [installed]
    An event notification library
extra/enlightenment17 0.17.1-1
    Enlightenment window manager DR17 (aka e17)
extra/kdeplasma-addons-applets-incomingmsg 4.10.2-1 (kde kdeplasma-addons)
    Notification of new messages
extra/libnotify 0.7.5-1 [installed]
    Desktop notification library
extra/notification-daemon 0.7.6-2 [installed]
    Notification daemon for the desktop notifications framework
extra/startup-notification 0.12-3 [installed]
    Monitor and display application startup
extra/xfce4-notifyd 0.2.3-1 (xfce4-goodies)
    Notification daemon for the Xfce desktop
community/awesome 3.5.1-1
    Highly configurable framework window manager
community/dunst 1.0.0-1
    a dmenu-ish notification system
community/dzen2 0.9.5git-1
    X notification utility
community/gnubiff 2.2.15-1
    Mail notification program that checks for mail and displays
headers when new mail has arrived
community/gnubiff-gtk 2.2.15-1
    Mail notification program that checks for mail and displays
headers when new mail has arrived. GTK version.
community/guifications 2.16-3
    A set of GUI popup notifications for pidgin
community/notify-osd 0.9.34-1
    Canonical's on-screen-display notification agent, implementing the
freedesktop.org Desktop Notifications Specification with
semi-transparent click-through bubbles
community/notify-sharp 0.4.0.3032-2
    C Sharp bindings for desktop notification
n4rky% ls /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants
cronie.service	cups.path  NetworkManager.service  ntpd.service
openvpn at client.service  postfix.service  remote-fs.target
smartd.service  sshd.service
n4rky%

If I'm reading this right, notification-daemon is the only one I have
installed.

- --
David Benfell / benfell at parts-unknown.org
Please see https://parts-unknown.org/node/2 for GnuPG information (or