[arch-general] Linode with stock linux-lts

Øyvind Heggstad mrelendig at har-ikkje.net
Tue May 7 07:52:24 EDT 2013

On Fri, 3 May 2013 18:03:57 -0400
Patrick Donnelly <batrick at batbytes.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have this working with the latest grub+linux-lts? I've
> been trying to follow the steps on [1] but have had no success. I've
> been using grub-common instead of grub.
>
> [1] https://forum.linode.com/viewtopic.php?t=8376
>
> --
> - Patrick Donnelly

I use the stock kernel (not -lts (the lts kernel really is too old, it
should be bumped to atleast 3.4 that is the current "lts" from
upstream) using pv-grub to boot it directly.

The forum post you linked to is full of bad advice and outdated info.

First off, you don't have to install grub on arch (also we have grub2
now, not 0.97)

Secondly, never -Sy foobar unless you _really_ know what you are doing

How to get pv-grub to work with arch:
Follow http://www.linode.com/wiki/index.php/PV-GRUB , except that you
don't have to edit the MODULES array in mkinitcpio.conf unless you are
not using the block hook.