[arch-general] libvirtd - save shutdown and systemd

Guus Snijders gsnijders at gmail.com
Wed May 8 17:52:47 EDT 2013

Hey all,

I'm pretty sure this is a fairly basic question, but i am a bit confused on
systemd targets.

It has been a while since i converted my systems to systemd and most of it
seems to be working ok. Now i am looking for a way to automatically save my
VM's to disk in case i forget to shutdown/save one before shutting down the
host.

After some searching, i stumbled upon this in man systemd-halt.service:
" Immediately before executing the actual system
       halt/poweroff/reboot/kexec systemd-shutdown will run all executables
in
       /usr/lib/systemd/system-shutdown/ and pass one arguments to them:
       either "halt", "poweroff", "reboot" or "kexec", depending on the
chosen
       action. All executables in this directory are executed in parallel,
and
       execution of the action is not continued before all executables
       finished. "

So at least one way would be place a script that calls
"/etc/rc.d/libvirtd-guests stop" (or equivalent, it's not hard to replace)
in /etc/systemd/system-shutdown/ . My main question is if this would be a
"correct" way or that i could better write some custom unit file to do this?
The tricky part is that i am /not/ interested in an automatic resume of
previously running guests, only saving them in case i forgot.

I'd be very interested in hearing opinions.

mvg,
    Guus