[arch-general] about the removal of that systemd symlink...

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Mon May 13 05:32:41 EDT 2013

Am 13.05.2013 11:23, schrieb David Benfell:
> On 05/13/2013 01:19 AM, Thomas Bächler wrote:
>
>> The wiki has told you to use init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd for
>> quite some time.
>
> When I was configuring the bootloaders (grub in two cases, gummiboot
> in another), I was following the installation instructions, and I
> didn't see this.

At least, all places that used to say to use init=/bin/systemd have been
changed to the new path.

> Is it the Arch recommendation to add this kernel option at boot time?
> Or will /sbin/init point to /usr/lib/systemd/systemd for the
> foreseeable future?

As long as the kernel default for the init process is /sbin/init, we
will keep probably the /sbin/init symlink for systemd. We may add
/usr/lib/systemd/systemd to be the default in mkinitcpio and drop the
/sbin/init symlink at some point (just a stupid idea of mine right now).

In any case, booting a default installation without init= is supported
and recommended, and we will make sure it keeps working.