[arch-general] Broken sound with Linux 3.9.2 on Acer laptop

LANGLOIS Olivier PIS -EXT olivier.pis.langlois at transport.alstom.com
Wed May 15 13:34:18 EDT 2013

Hello BlissSam,

> After upgrading to 3.9.2 kernel, the sound did not work.
> However, the system CAN recognize my sound card, and my sound card
> appeared in `alsamixer` Downgrading the kernel can solve the problem.
>

> Providing more info:
>
> Acer Aspire laptop, with Intel i5 CPU, 2nd generation SandyBridge.
>
> `uname -a`:
> > Linux brilliant-laptop 3.9.2-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat May 11 20:31:08
> > CEST 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> `lspci | grep Audio`:
> > 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
> > Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)

lspci -nn | grep Audio could provide some info susceptible to help.

snd_hda_intel apply treat differently hda intel hardware differently depending on device id.

Explore a little bit files content under /proc/asound

Such as:

/proc/asound/cards
/proc/asound/devices
/proc/asound/pcm
/proc/asound/card0/codec*

Fallback to simple stuff such as

speaker-test -c2

aplay somewavfile.wav
aplay -l
aplay -L

I have found it useful and very interesting to do

strace -e trace=open speaker-test -c2

That shows you all config files that alsa-lib opens.

CONFIDENTIALITY : This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged. If you are not a named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person, use it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.