[arch-general] Sourcing /etc/rc.conf in configs and .install scripts

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Tue Nov 12 17:01:30 EST 2013

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 22:41:19 +0100
Karol Blazewicz <karol.blazewicz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 10:25 PM, Leonid Isaev <lisaev at umail.iu.edu> wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 22:05:12 +0100
> > Karol Blazewicz <karol.blazewicz at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I noticed a few configs and .install scripts mention /etc/rc.conf
> >> (mostly it's just '. /etc/rc.conf'), even though initscripts are not
> >> supported anymore.
> >>
> >> For example locale.sh from filesystem package has
> >>
> >> elif [ -r /etc/rc.conf ]; then
> >>   LANG=$(. /etc/rc.conf 2>/dev/null; echo "$LOCALE")
> >> fi
> >>

> >> Should I open a bug report for this?
> >
> > What are the other packages?
> >
> > In the particular case of the filesystem package, I think the above
> > conditional is actually useful. It is never triggered on an
> > initscripts-less installation, yet it makes the filesystem package
> > workable for people who prefer legacy initscripts.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > --
> > Leonid Isaev
> > GnuPG key: 0x164B5A6D
> > Fingerprint: C0DF 20D0 C075 C3F1 E1BE  775A A7AE F6CB 164B 5A6D
>

> I just searched /var/abs. Below I posted the files that mention
> /etc/rc.conf and the relevant part of the file in question. Maybe we
> can remove /etc/rc.d/functions too?

Some observations:
* kexec-tools, xinetd, rp-pppoe, hylafax
  Those are legacy initscripts which are still tracked by SVN but not
installed in PKGBUILD (and not present in packages).
* pound/pound.runit
  Runit is an alternative init system... I'm not sure how it intergrates with
Arch and whether the corresponding startup script actually needs rc.conf.