[arch-general] arch wiki xen installation questions

Sean Greenslade sean at seangreenslade.com
Thu Oct 10 08:12:11 EDT 2013

John Davis <davisjf at gmail.com> wrote:
>There's your problem. You can't bridge wifi adapters. It needs to be
>> ethernet in order for brctl to use it.
>>
>> If I remember correctly, this is due to wifi not being "routable,"
>that
>> is, you cannot proxy packets destined / sourced from a MAC that is
>not your
>> own.
>>
>> ---
>> --John "Sean" Greenslade
>>

>Hello Sean,
>
>Ahh, I did not know that.  I could have sworn that when I used vmware
>on
>windows, I was able to share the wifi connection.  However, its been
>such a
>long time, I can't really remember.
>
>Does this mean that when using xen on linux, you can't use wifi
>networking
>for guest os's?

Not entirely. There are several "tricks" you can use to get networking from wifi to a guest. VMWare (Workstation) uses NAT by default, turning your computer into a gateway router and creating a virtual bridge. This can be done in linux, just google "iptables nat".

You could also (in theory, at least) pass your wifi card hardware through to the guest. It would only allow one guest to connect at a time, but this may be acceptable ib your use case, I don't know.

If you need more help with Xen configuration, there is a very helpful Xen mailing list called xen-users. You'd get more Xen help there than on arch-general, I think.

---
--John "Sean" Greenslade