[arch-general] Audio distro

Joakim Hernberg jbh at alchemy.lu
Fri Oct 18 15:48:40 EDT 2013

On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 20:15:48 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 2013-10-17 at 19:47 +0200, Karol Blazewicz wrote:
> > I'm not sure why a separate distro would be needed, there's e.g.
> > http://archaudio.org/
>
> Thank you,
>
> I'm uncertain, if an audio distro is useful and I'll take a deeper
> look into what already exists for Arch later.
>
> Unfortunately the lists archives end with June 2013/July 2013.

Unfortunately archaudio is nearly dead.  The people who were willing to
package have become TUs instead, so quite a few packages are in
extra/community already.  I do maintain a linux-rt kernel in
archaudio-production.  The reason it's old, is that up until now
3.10-rt has been quite flaky, and the 3.8.11-rt8 is the last one that
was really stable for me.  I try to keep a stable kernel in the repo
and leave the bleeding edge to AUR.

Personally I think that AUR is a great thing, but most likely the
reason that we don't have a binary repo with all the audio software in
it.  I also suspect that many simply use something like yaourt and
simply treat the AUR as a binary repo, maybe not the smartest thing
but the path of least resistance and all that...

In closing imo it's a shame that  Archlinux doesn't have a -rt kernel
in the main repos, as it's impossible to do glitchfree and really low
latency audio without a -rt kernel.

--

   Joakim