[arch-general] mplayer2 deprecation

Rashif Ray Rahman schiv at archlinux.org
Thu Oct 31 14:33:08 EDT 2013

On 31 October 2013 17:55,  <coffeekingms at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi
> Thanks for the help. That worked better than my attempts did, although now when I start mplayer with the alias I get the following:
> [fbdev2] Screensize is smaller than video size (1600x900 < 1600x1200)
> FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver.
> I used to run into these issues all the time. Am I missing anything, or is it just not possible to watch videos in console with mplayer?

Yes, this will happen if the scaling done by mplayer pushes either of
the resolutions to go beyond the real screen estate. In my experience,
this has never happened. As you can read from the manual:

"value>8
     Set width to value and calculate height to keep correct aspect ratio."

I get the same errors as you if I issue -xy 1367. For some reason, the
height is scaled beyond your screen area. Try with a lower value, that
will leave just a bit of black around the video. Please also try a Big
Buck Bunny video. [1]

When all else fails, issue -x and -y separately (which breaks aspect
ratio, stretching where needed).

[1] http://www.bigbuckbunny.org/index.php/download/

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1