[arch-general] Revisit official SELinux support

William Giokas 1007380 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 21:33:50 EDT 2013

On Fri, Nov 01, 2013 at 11:10:12AM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> On 01/11/13 08:56, Timothée Ravier wrote:
> >>
> >> Requiring patches not accepted upstream is an immediate blocker.
> >
> > Sorry, I chose my words poorly. I meant two things:
> >   * First, patches required for SELinux should be pushed and accepted
> > upstream. I don't know the current state about those. I'll post an
> > update later.
> >   * Future core packages releases may require patches to make SELinux
> > work or even make the packages build with SELinux activated. On this
> > front there isn't too much to be concerned of as both Gentoo and Fedora
> > SELinux folks are affected by those issues too and will surely provide
> > patches which we could push upstream if necessary.
>
> It is completely necessary that all these patches are pushed upstream
> due to the Arch patching policy.

Because of this, maybe it would be best to keep this as an unofficial
repository. Include all of the patched software, set up the groups,
provides, conflicts, etc. correctly.

The one reason I have not yet tried SELinux on my system is because of
the extensive time effort it would take to keep those core system
packages up to date. If there was a group of people all working on parts
of an SELinux repository, then it would be much easier to maintain,
update and use.

Thanks,

--
William Giokas | KaiSforza | http://kaictl.net/