[arch-general] Kernel freeze on boot with kernel 3.10.x

Nils Becker nilsc.becker at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 07:48:21 EDT 2013

Hello everyone,

since kernel version >3.9.x (e.g. 3.10.3, 3.10.10) my system freezes
during the boot. I was hoping for a fix to appear in later versions of
3.10. but as this was not the case, I am in dire need of help to debug
this problem as currently I am not even getting any logs from the crash.

Problem: After grub is loaded the system loads the initial ram disk and
I am prompted to enter the password for my root partition. After that
the system starts normally (systemd messages) and freezes at some
point. The last message printed differs a little bit between boots, but
it is roughly about "Mounted Config File System".
The freeze is apparently a complete crash: I started a systemd rescue
console on tty9 (which startup is printed out) but I cannot switch in
that console after the freeze (no response on key events).
Apparently the logs are not yet written to the harddisk as I can not
find any entries on that boot if I startup another kernel.

I would be grateful for any pointers on this issue and/or some
suggestions how I can at least get a useful log from the crash to open
a bug report.

I am using the standard arch linux packages (at least where the bootup
is involved). My system is using a raid1 with encrypted root partition.
And yes, it works flawlessly if I downgrade the linux package to
<3.10.x.

My hardware configuration (hwinfo output) can be found under:
www.ncbecker.de/pc/hwinfo
I ran hwinfo with the lts-kernel.

Cheers
Nils