[arch-general] System-Wide Pulseaudio

Dennis Lange dennis at lumalab.net
Sat Sep 7 11:54:39 EDT 2013

> Do you have mpd installed on your system ? If not, I would first consider
> it. In your case, it will be the easiest way to share a common music
> library and settings between all your sessions.
>  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mpd
>
> If already installed, please share your mpd configuration.

Ok now i have a global Music Player Daemon running.
To do this I edit /etc/mpd.conf and unmask and edit the following lines:

music_directory "/var/lib/mpd/music"
playlist_directory "/var/lib/mpd/playlists"
db_file "/var/lib/mpd/mpd.db"
log_file "/var/lib/mpd/mpd.log"
pid_file "/run/mpd/mpd.pid"
user "mpd"
bind_to_address         "127.0.0.1"
port                    "6600"

audio_output {
        type            "pulse"
        name            "pulse audio"
        server          "127.0.0.1"
}

I also unmask and edit /etc/pulse/default.pa with:

load-module module-native-protocol-tcp auth-ip-acl=127.0.0.1

Because I do all this for a global mpd I add the daemon with:

systemctl enable mpd
systemctl start mpd

After all I am only able to play webradio on one account. If I change
the virtual console with ctrl+alt+f2 audio stops to play and if I start
a second X session with another user I am not able to control mpd with
a second gmpc or ncmpc.

logfile looks like this after switching to another virtual console

Sep 07 17:46 : avahi: Service 'Music Player' successfully established.
Sep 07 17:47 : client: No such playlist
Sep 07 17:47 : output: "pulse audio" [pulse] failed to play: suspended