[arch-general] Fwd: [arch-dev-public] systemd 207 ignores /etc/sysctl.conf

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Fri Sep 13 12:26:05 EDT 2013

On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 14:15:52 +0200
Martti Kühne <mysatyre at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 1:12 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > a new features in systemd 207 is to no longer read /etc/sysctl.conf.
> > Instead /etc/sysctl.d/*.conf has to be used. Imho this needs a news item
> > and we also need to think about what to do with the file we ship as part
> > of procps-ng.
> >
> > From the systemd changelog:
> >         * The systemd-sysctl tool no longer natively reads the
> >           file /etc/sysctl.conf. If desired, the file should be
> >           symlinked from /etc/sysctl.d/99-sysctl.conf. Apart from
> >           providing legacy support by a symlink rather than built-in
> >           code, it also makes the otherwise hidden order of application
> >           of the different files visible.
> >

> I may sound lazy, but can't we just provide that symlink and get done
> with other problems?
>
> cheers!
> mar77i

No, let's kill /etc/sysctl.conf because:

* It goes against the common structure that distros put configs in /usr/lib,
not /etc.
* It is not overridable. E.g. Arch defaults are not suitable for me, so I have
to keep an empty sysctl.conf (while having things /etc/sysctl.d/*.conf).
* It is not even documented in any of systemd manpages (please correct me if
this is wrong).

Cheers,

--
Leonid Isaev