[arch-general] Quo vadis, systemd user session?

Tobias Frilling tobias at frilling-online.de
Fri Sep 20 04:46:03 EDT 2013

I know, I know, it's only semi-supported, but I use systemd --user to manage my
graphical environment (no DE, just a WM and a few applications). I've written a
system-level service file which calls startx, which in turn calls systemd user
session via .xinitrc:

  dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/lib/systemd/systemd --user

The recent systemd update removed support for direct manipulation of cgroups. I
had to rewrite the service file, cannibalized user at .service and ended up with
this [1]. Yeah, it's cargo culting, but my mortal brain sometimes can't grok
systemds complexity.

So my first questions are: Is this something a sane person would do? Is there a
more elegant way without installing more 3rd party software? Do I need to
involve logind in some way?

Part 2: Systemd now calls user at .service with every login, which in turn calls
systemd --user. But as I said, I use it for graphical stuff, so I do not want
this behavior.

So the second bunch of questions would be: Can I overwrite user at .service without
breaking something else? How would I do that?

Any kind of held is appreciated. The current state of my setup feels kinda
frail.

Regards,
Tobias

[1] http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=jTjTwQMz