[arch-general] Git

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 05:32:26 EDT 2013

On Monday 30 Sep 2013 05:13:57 Sebastian Schwarz wrote:
> On 2013-29-09, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> > If we were to use git, we should have one git repository per
> > package, and also provide one repository which includes all
> > the packages as submodules.
>
> Why not use one branch per package and one branch per repository
> with the packages as submodules instead of a repository for each
> package?  This way all the packages would be in a single
> repository and could be fetched all at once or one at a time.

If you had one package on each branch, cloning the repository would bring down
all of the packages together, because all of the branches in a git repository are
fetched when you clone.  Keeping unrelated code in different branches in the
same repo is a bit weird in Git, and is not generally done; it almost always makes
more sense to use a separate repo for each code base.

Paul