[arch-general] xdm and awesomewm incompatibilty

ashwin ashwin.chn at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 06:59:51 EDT 2013

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 21:38:42 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Sat, 2013-09-28 at 21:05 +0200, Jakub Klinkovský wrote:

>> > If you can cope with  GTK+3 being pulled, try LightDM
>> >
>> > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lightdm
>> >
>> > Szymon Szydełko
>>
>> You don't need gtk3 to use lightdm, it depends on the "greeter":
>> https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/lightdm-gtk2-
greeter/

> IIRC I used some default greeter, before I installed a greeter. I guess
> it's possible to get some simple greeter, without installing an
> additional greeter.

It failed to work without a greeter. I installed lightdm-gtk3-greeter and
now it is working. This greeter does not bring in lot of dependencies as
in the case of gdm. The dependecies for this package are just lightdm and
gtk. Only issue i am seeing is icon are missing and it shows a `x` in its
place. I see it has xdmcp support (cool). Thanks for all for showing me
lightdm.

with regards,
ashwin