[arch-general] /var lost, how "reinstal" Archlinux?

Lukas Jirkovsky l.jirkovsky at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 15:12:28 EDT 2014

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Marek Otahal <markotahal at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've lost content of /var, other partitions are ok, so system somewhat
> boots up (to recovery mode).
> What is the less pain method to get it again up and running? The problem I
> see are pacman list of installed packages? Any other notes on what
> important things could be missing?
>
> Thank you very much for any help,
> Mark
>
> PS: no backups :-/
>
> --
> Marek Otahal :o)

If you have enough time, I would try using pkgfile to recover the
installed packages. I thing something like this should suffice:
# update the pkgfile database
pkgfile -u
# find the package names for all binaries
find /usr/bin -type f -exec pkgfile '{}' ';' | uniq

I assume that the libs would be installed as depends for the programs
that has a binary in /usr/bin

Lukas