[arch-general] [aur-general] GHC 7.8.1 packaging decisions for Arch Linux

Bardur Arantsson spam at scientician.net
Thu Apr 10 07:42:31 EDT 2014

On 2014-04-10 06:39, Thomas Dziedzic wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 8:12 PM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
>>
>> Now that aside is finished, what is the deal with that arch-haskell
>> group?  Is it still going?  Would they want to provide packages
>> officially instead?
>

> I wouldn't actually be opposed to this idea.
>
> A lot of effort is duplicated with regards to Archlinux's official haskell
> packages and Arch-Haskell's packages.
>
> We could try to work out something between the existing haskell package
> maintainers and arch-haskell maintainers.
>
> It might lead to a possibly better overall haskell experience on archlinux.
>
> Arch-haskell could maintain official haskell packages using pacman.
> I (and anyone interested) could support haskell package installation using
> the cabal-install route.

Would this mean that only "ghc" and "cabal-install" would be in any of
the official repos and that everything else would be relegated to
"arch-haskell"? If so, then +1. (As mentioned in another email I think
Haskell distro packaging in general could use a rethink, possibly based
on sandboxing.)

Regards,