[arch-general] /var lost, how "reinstall" Archlinux?

Alessandro Doro ordo.ad at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 05:09:08 EDT 2014

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 11:03:52PM -0400, Carl Schaefer wrote:
> 2. Some files in /usr/bin had no package that pkgfile could find.  Most
> were from AUR, but there was also this:
>
> $ pkgfile /usr/bin/init.lxc
> $ pacman -Qo /usr/bin/init.lxc
> /usr/bin/init.lxc is owned by lxc 1:1.0.3-1
>
> It seems the 'lxc' package installs 'init.lxc' into /usr/sbin, which
> symlinks to /usr/bin.  Not knowing anything about how these tools work,
> I'm more surprised that 'pacman -Qo' figured this out, than I am that
> 'pkgfile' didn't.

It seems a packaging bug; I think that `configure' needs:
--sbindir=/use/bin
You should open a bug report.

pkgfile reads the repo database so it cannot find /usr/bin/init.lxc;
it's installed as /usr/sbin/init.lxc

pacman (see pacman(8)):
QUERY OPTIONS
 -o, --owns <file>
 Search for packages that own the specified file(s). The path can be
 relative or absolute and one or more files can be specified.

So it it looks like every path/link is resolved before the search.