[arch-general] KDE update and baloo

André Vitor andre.vmatos at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 18:08:44 EDT 2014

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 4:33 PM, Genes Lists <lists at sapience.com> wrote:

> On 04/17/2014 10:37 AM, Lukas Jirkovsky wrote:
>

>> Is it with KDE PIM? I remember a discussion in the release ML that
>> baloo was somewhat broken in PIM. I dunno if that was fixed or not.
>>
>>  No not using PIM. I killed off all the baloo processes - short term
> fix.There really should be an off button on this kind of thing.

I've a problem with baloo too, but with RAM usage.
After a few minutes of KDE with baloo activated and indexing data in some
partitions with a few hundred gigabytes of my data (video, music, big
source trees of projects, VMs, etc), I experience a continuous growing in
RAM usage, sometimes up to consuming my entire 12G RAM and starting paging
to swap, driving my system almost unusable. Another times, RAM grows up to
4~5 Gb and stay there. I have no KDE PIM configured (no mail accounts, etc).
Weird is that that amount of RAM isn't reported by htop/top/ps for being
from any processes. The sum of all processes memory usage stay near the
habitual 1-1.5G RAM. Logout and terminating all user processes doesn't free
my memory too. The only way to get my memory back is restarting PC.
But I'm sure the problem is with baloo or something related, since
disabling it the problem goes away. Maybe something related with my btrfs
root/home, although mentioned large data partitions are in ext4.
I don't want to disable baloo, I liked it's speed in file indexing and
searching, but it's unusable now. Anyone know if there's any way to fix it?
Or, at least, track down where my memory gone? [maybe kernel memory? kernel
caches? unfreed pages?]. Thanks

--
http://www.google.com/profiles/andre.vmatos