[arch-general] Android support in Linux Arch

Karol Babioch karol at babioch.de
Thu Apr 17 19:20:44 EDT 2014

Hi,

Am 18.04.2014 00:35, schrieb Hugo Osvaldo Barrera:
>> Does this download additional files, or actually replace files the arch package installs?
>>
>> If it's the former, then you can create a user group (eg: android),
>> and make the directory where files are downloaded owned by that group.

Well, it probably depends on what exactly you select to install. When
there is a new API level, there will definitely be new files. This can
lead to file conflicts, because pacman will complain that the file(s)
already exist once the package gets updated. This can be resolved
easily, but requires some knowledge about package management. Probably
nothing a beginner (either to pacman or to the SDK wants to deal with).

> I did a bit of research on this.

Thanks for that!

>> Ubuntu suggest you download the SDK and install into into your home:
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AndroidSDK
>> (so no useful precedent here).
>>
>> The same applies for Fedora:
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/HOWTO_Setup_Android_Development

Personally I like this approach the most. Obviously it has drawbacks in
multi-user environments. But it won't lead to conflicts, because pacman
doesn't know anything about it and to be quite honest most of us are the
only user on a system anyway.

However, I kind of like the proposed idea of an empty "meta package",
that will only trigger the installation of dependencies. Is this
something you would be interested in?

Best regards,
Karol Babioch