[arch-general] lxc: systemd-udev-trigger resets host kbd & mouse settings

Daniel Micay danielmicay at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 17:45:09 EDT 2014

On 18/04/14 05:40 PM, Carl Schaefer wrote:
> I've just started playing with lxc, and found that if I create a
> container with:
>
> # lxc-create -n arch -t archlinux
>
> and then start it:
>
> # lxc-start -n arch
>
> it resets my X keyboard map and mouse acceleration settings (which are
> set by setxkbmap/xset/xinput), though mouse button remapping done by
> xmodmap is not affected.
>
> I tracked it as far as the execution of:
>
>   /usr/bin/udevadm trigger --type=devices --action=add
>
> in /usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-udev-trigger.service, which seems to
> write "add" to most of the "uevent" files under /sys/devices.  I don't
> know the reason for this, especially in a container, but disabling the
> whole udev trigger service in the container keeps the host X input
> settings intact without breaking anything obvious in the container (and
> the container boots a lot faster now, too).
>
> I'd appreciate any thoughts on what systemd-udev-trigger is doing,
> whether it's appropriate in a container, and if there's a better way to
> keep a container from changing X input settings on the host.
> Carl

Do you have these issues with systemd-nspawn?

mkdir container && pacstrap -cd base container
systemd-nspawn -bD container

Containers are not yet completely solid. One of the most notable flaws
is the complete lack of namespacing for the cgroup filesystem. These
kind of things are worked around by systemd via various hacks, so
perhaps lxc is missing something.