[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] ppp 2.4.6 in testing breaks pptp connections in NetworkManager

Wayne S linux at zuik.net
Sun Apr 20 11:50:49 EDT 2014

At 2/23/2014 07:58 AM, you wrote:

>Am 23.02.2014 12:53, schrieb Arthur Țițeică:
>> I've seen these issues but I didn't have enough time to come to a sane
>> conclusion in order to report it.
>>
>> IIRC rp-pppoe in core has the same problem.
>>
>> pppd[27117]: Plugin /usr/lib/rp-pppoe/rp-pppoe.so is for pppd version 2.4.5,
>> this is 2.4.6
>>
>> Bug report at: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/39007
>
>Since that plugin is not even in the pppd plugin path, there is no way
>to detect this problem.
>
>Besides rp-pppoe, pppd-ldap also needs a rebuild (the plugin is still
>for 2.4.4, so I wonder if a single person ever used it).
>
>I also wonder why rp-pppoe is still in core. It provides no essential
>functionality that netctl+ppp don't.

I'm using an arch box as a firewall router. I have verizon fios connection that still uses pppoe. Recently the pppoe connection upload bandwidth went down to < 50kbps (normal is 25Mbps) but ok download bandwidth is still around 58Mbps. During boot pppd 2.4.6 is started and the message RP-PPPoE plugin version 3.8d compiled against pppd 2.4.6. Something is now broken and I don't know what it is.

I switched over to using the fios router = works OK, switched over to a archlinuxarm on utilite - works OK, mostly. I built a new firewall router on another box with new network cards, and it has the same problem. Which leads me to conclude that something is wrong in the pppoe.

The setup I use is close to the arch wiki on pppd, which use the rp-pppoe.so plugin. Can you explain how netctl+ppp can replace the rp-pppoe plugin.

Thanks
Wayne S