[arch-general] On-boot delay due to timer units

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Mon Apr 21 12:56:36 EDT 2014

On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 21:31:07 +0200
Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:

> [...]
>
> I think another solution in systemd would be introducing a holdoff time:
> Instead of running immediately on boot, the timer should be scheduled
> for boot+5min.
>
> This requires some investigation - sorry, I don't have a quick solution
> right now.

AFAIU, there are 2 real issues here:
1. We hook to the boot process a bunch of disk-intensive operations which did
not belong there in the 1st place.
2. Even if a boot delay for timers is implemented or the behavior of Type=idle
units is "fixed" somehow in systemd, still all "cron" timers will be started in
parallel which may result in a slow/unresponsive system. Note, that under
anacron they were serialized by run-parts.

BTW, thanks for bringing this up on systemd ML.

L.

--
Leonid Isaev
GPG fingerprints: DA92 034D B4A8 EC51 7EA6  20DF 9291 EE8A 043C B8C4