[arch-general] How do I preserve changes to okular.desktop?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Wed Apr 23 06:05:31 EDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-04-22 at 22:42 +1000, Robbie Smith wrote:
> Alternatively, add the location of the original desktop file to
> pacman.conf NoUpgrade and pacman won't update it.

IIUC without the first "/" of the path [1].

JFTR the package itself, including an unwanted file, but containing
other files too, still will be upgraded, just the unwanted file won't be
upgraded?

I for example haven't GNOME installed, but from time to time I get

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ ls /usr/share/xsessions/gnome*
/usr/share/xsessions/gnome.desktop           /usr/share/xsessions/gnome-fallback.desktop
/usr/share/xsessions/gnome.desktop.disabled  /usr/share/xsessions/gnome-fallback.desktop.disabled

to remove or "disable" them all the times is annoying.

So I have to add usr/share/xsessions/gnome.desktop
usr/share/xsessions/gnome-fallback.desktop to NoUpgrade, without a "/"
at the beginning [1]?

[1] "NoUpgrade = file …
All files listed with a NoUpgrade directive will never be touched during
a package install/upgrade, and the new files will be installed with
a .pacnew extension. These files refer to files in the package archive,
so do not include the leading slash (the RootDir) when specifying them.
Shell-style glob patterns are allowed." -
https://www.archlinux.org/pacman/pacman.conf.5.html