[arch-general] PPPoE broken on upload

Wayne S linux at zuik.net
Fri Apr 25 08:25:12 EDT 2014

At 4/22/2014 06:31 AM, Lone Wolf wrote:
>On 22-04-14 02:49, Wayne S wrote:
>>
>>Recent updates have caused problems with my PPPoE FIOS link. The upload speed has been reduced to near zero.
>>
>>I "was" using arch linux box as a firewall router. I have a verizon fios connection that still uses the old pppoe. Recently the pppoe connection upload bandwidth went down to < 50kbps (normally it is >25Mbps), however the download bandwidth is still around 58Mbps.
>>
>>There was a recent thread about recompiling PPP to 2.4.6, however, whatever this change did in recent updates, has broken my router PPP connection upload speed.

>What was the previous version of ppp that did work ?

The previous pppd that worked was probably 2.4.5, but I have not kept accurate records of when the problem started. Or it may have been 2.4.6 and just the recent update broke ppp.

It is not hardware related as I tested on two systems with different ethernet nics.

I was curious about the thread back in Feburary relating to PPP
https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2014-February/035128.html
and if those changes from testing in february have now broken ppp in recent releases?

>>During boot pppd 2.4.6 is started and the message RP-PPPoE plugin version 3.8d compiled against pppd 2.4.6. I see no errors.
>latest rp-ppoe version in repos is 3.11.5 , have you tried with that version ?

I have the latest rp-pppoe 3.11.5 and it makes no difference other than it says "3.8p compiled against pppd 2.4.6" during boot.

>Was the new arch based fw router a fresh install, or an existing system ?

Firewall was existing system, which had been running fine since august 2013. Only a recent update broke pppoe.

I have now switched the router to ubuntu server 14.04 and am back to 60Mbps download and 30Mbps upload speed. The previous upload was so slow just simple browsing would hang.

Wayne