[arch-general] Optimizing boot

Toyam Cox csupercomputergeek at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 05:56:55 EDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 3:22 AM, Jakub Klinkovský <j.l.k at gmx.com> wrote:

> On 30 April 2014 00:06:43 CEST, Toyam Cox <csupercomputergeek at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I want to have a sub-30 second boot time, so as to make it possible for
> >me
> >to power down my computer and power back up at a moment's notice. Right
> >now, I have a (according to my watch) ~35 second boot time. I used
> >systemd-analyze, and discovered that NetworkManager.service is running
> >for
> >12 seconds of that time! Also, polkit.service runs quite a while after
> >everything else, but that is less important.
> >
> >How do I optimize NetworkManager.service to shorten boot times,
> >especially
> >as I don't need a network first-thing?
> >
> >--
> >- Toyam
>
> Just a wild guess: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=180099

Startup finished in 4.215s (firmware) + 176ms (loader) + 2.939s (kernel) +
11.166s (userspace) = 18.497s

Thank you very much! NetworkManager takes a much more reasonable 1.4
seconds now. It would not have occured to me to have the journal checked. I
also enabled readahead, and now LXDE starts before I'm finished booting, a
very nice feature.

--
- Toyam